Our 2015 award of accreditation under the Law Society’s Wills and Inheritance Quality Scheme recognises that Miller Law Practice meets the highest standards of experience, expertise and client service in advising on applications for Grant of Probate and Administration of Estates - as we have been doing for the last 30 years for individuals or estates of any size, complexity or simplicity.
The best practice procedures which as a WIQS member we follow include:
- Our dedicated wills and probate service is tailored to your needs and best interests. We will explain the process, options, costs and likely timescales;
- We will keep you up to date using your preferred method of communication;
- All our lawyers and other staff are accredited under the WIQS scheme and complete compulsory training on the WIQS standard and show compliance through annual re-accreditation and ongoing enforcement checks by the Law Society.
Learn more about the benefits of using a WIQS accredited practice on the Law Society’s website at www.lawsociety.org.uk/AboutWIQS.
When a close family member dies, it is the responsibility of the Executor/s named in a Will or of a Personal Representative (if no Will was left) to administer the deceased’s estate by:
- Valuing all the assets and debts
- Accounting to the Inland Revenue
- Paying any Inheritance Tax due
- Filing for Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration
- Collecting any money due to the deceased
- Paying bills owed by the deceased
- Paying any Capital Gains tax due
- Finding missing beneficiaries
- Distributing the remainder to the beneficiaries
- Preparing Estate Accounts
This is a time-consuming process at what is an unhappy time and may also involve identifying legal problems outside the knowledge of the Executor or Personal Representative.
Because of this many people prefer to ask a lawyer to undertake this work. We pride ourselves on providing an expeditious and efficient service for any estate, large or small, and taking the burden off the shoulders of the deceased’s family.
Marilyn Sparrow, Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives and our Probate Manager, will be happy to talk to you about what is involved in taking probate and give you a costs estimate for the whole process, with the costs usually taken from the estate. You can contact her on 020 8340 2953 or info(at)@millerlaw(dot)co(dot)uk